Thursday, May 10, 2012

Random Thoughts


Welcome back!

I don’t have so much to talk about so I’ll just throw out some random stuff I’ve been sitting on for days or weeks.

First, I read the soccer blog BigSoccer.com almost everyday and I noticed that in the forum about me there were some match reviews posted.  I had absolutely no idea that this existed, but I did some searching and found the website.  It’s a newspaper called unt.se, which covers Uppsala.  For my first three matches, I got (on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best), 1/5, 2/5 and 3/5.  My first game I got the worst possible rating!  Haha I’m not too concerned though.  It seems more like the writers have very high expectations for me than me actually playing poorly.  For instance, in the match where I got a rating of 3, the explanation said that I was going to be an important player for ESK all season long and that I dominated the left back.  Pretty glowing description for a middle of the road rating lol.  I tried to avoid these types of reviews because they don’t do me any good to look at, but now that I know about it I’ll read it after every match to see what they have to say about me.  I just can’t help myself.

Next, I swear Fruit Loops here are different from America.  I’m pretty sure that all four of the O’s on the box are supposed different colored.  The Fruit Loops I get from the grocery store here though double up on the purple loops.  Kind of shady.  I think Sweden gets the defect Fruit Loops that Americans won’t eat!



In the couple months that I’ve lived in Enkoping, I have watched an absurd amount of Netflix.  There’s no real follow up to that.  I’ve just watched more Netflix than any person who claims they are employed should.  Here's not-so-great picture of my setup with the projector.  It looks really good even though my phone camera doesn't show it so well.



Here in Sweden there is a strange obsession with USA and UK flag things.  Everything from clothes to purses to pillows to wallpaper are covered in the red, white and blue.  In fact, I saw this display at one of the home furniture stores.  I don’t know why it’s this way, but I can only assume that it’s because everybody loves America.  And if they can’t get American stuff they’re willing to settle for UK gear.


I have a bike that Robert let me have for the season.  It makes a huge difference in my day-to-day life, but there’s one big problem: There is a 100% chance that I fall off this bike at some point.  I haven’t ridden a bike in probably 15 years and every single time I get on it I come close to falling immediately.  I also tempt fate every time I turn, carry groceries, look behind me or go on/off the sidewalk.  I just hope that when I do finally fall that nobody is around to see it.  I’m pretty sure that when I fall though it will be in front of a bunch of judgmental middle schoolers.  They can be so cruel and they’re just getting good enough at English to really make the insults stick!

I’m glad I got this stuff off my chest.  None of it has any relevance but oh well, it’s my blog I can write about literally anything I want.  We’ve got our next game on Saturday so I’ll have some more to write about then.  Take care!  I leave you with a picture of my niece, Amani.  When I left America she was so small, but now she's growing into a little lady.  She even has teeth!  In this picture, she has wiggled her way into the space on the side of her bed and gotten herself stuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment